If you want to sync your emails on more than one device, use Gmail’s free IMAP server and link it to your email address. This is how:
- Create a Gmail account. Click here to see how.
- Log into your Gmail account with your web browser and click on Settings.
- Click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP.
- Click Enable IMAP and Save Changes.
We are now going to set up Gmail so you can send and receive with your own email address, but using Gmail’s IMAP server.
- Click on Settings again and then on Accounts and Import.
- Under Send mail as: click Send mail from another address.
- In the box that comes up, type your email address and click Next Step twice. Then click Send verification code.
- Find the verfication code in the email that you receive from Gmail, put it into the box and click Verify.
- You will see that your email address is added to Send mail as:. You will need to click on make default so it will always send with your own address and not the Gmail address.
- Under Check mail using POP3: click Add POP3 email account.
- In the box that comes up, type your email address and click Next Step.
- You will need to fill in your ISP details (username, password and POP3 server name).
- Make sure Leave a copy of the retrieved message on the server is unticked and click Add Account.
You can now use Gmail as your IMAP server, but you will need to add this account to all your devices. To do so click on Forwarding and POP/IMAP and then on Configuration instructions which is under IMAP Access:. This will guide you through setting up the account on your devices.